Take melon to the savory side.
A salt punch from cured olives and aged pecorino lures watermelon to the savory side in this refreshing peak summer salad.
Makes 6 servings
- 1 small seedless watermelon (4 to 4 1/2 pounds), rind removed, cut into big bite-size triangles (about 8 cups)
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup oil-cured black olives, smashed, pitted, and coarsely chopped
- 1/4 cup crumbled pecorino romano cheese
- Gently toss the watermelon triangles with the salt in a large bowl. Add the oil and vinegar and toss again.
- Arrange the watermelon on a serving platter and drizzle with the juices from the bowl. Scatter the olives and pecorino on top, and serve immediately.